Thursday, December 6, 2012

Blog Post # 9

 

I chose to read What I learned this year 2008-09 mainly because I wanted to compare Mr. McClung's  first year of teaching to his most recent year of teaching in What I learned This Year-Volume 4.  After his first year of teaching, Mr. McClung decided that he would take the advice of his mentor, and start a reflective blog at the end of each school year that he taught. Mr. McClug's first year teaching was in 2008-2009. In his first blog he discuses a few things that he learned teaching. First he learned that the one of the most. important aspect of teaching was checking on students comprehension, and not to focus on what his superiors and other co-workers thought of him. He also learned to be flexible in the lessons that he taught, no lesson is perfect. When a lesson didn't go as planned he didn't get all worked up over his mistake, but take that as a lesson learned and to work out the situation. In his first blog he states that communication is the best medicine. It's the best way to solve any situation that arises in the work place. Mr. McClung said not to be afraid of technology. This really hits home for me. I sometimes get over whelmed with the amount of technology that is available to use. In the word of Mr. McClung, "Technology is our friend and is essential to living in our microwave society of today". The second to last tip that he gives it to listen to the students and to take interest in the students life, this will show the students that you care about them and that you are there for them. Last but, not least never stop learning.

In his most recent blog, Volume 4, Mr. McClung's struggled with how his peers viewed him as a teacher. This past school year he discovered that he had to stay true to himself, and follow his one rule that is to make sure the students are having fun and learning at the same time. Mr. McClung noticed that he had began to get into a routine with how he was teaching, and his creativity was slowly fading. He found out the hard way as to what can happen when you get to comfortable teaching. He began to get lazy with his lesson plans, and the students began to not enjoy going to class. Mr. McClung took the opportunity that he was given to change subjects as a challenge to become a better teacher. I have recently decided to change my major from Education to Psychology, but this blog still hits home for me. I has give me a new look on how to stay focused on my goals, and to not let what other people's opinion of me get me down. I know that as long as I am doing my best then I will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment